Monday, September 8, 2008

A Perspective from the OTHER Great White North

Canadian blogger Harold Doherty raises a point I wasn't going to make, but since he states it so well, here goes:

"...As the father of an autistic boy, I know that my wife and I have both had to devote vastly more time to his care and well-being than we do for his older brother who was able to speak, converse, read, and understand life at very early stages. I am not attacking Governor Palin, but I find it difficult to understand her decision to take on the VP nominee challenge when her Down's Syndrome child is only 4 or 5 months old. And yes, I would say the same thing if she were a man.

"...If Governor Palin would put that challenge ahead of dedication to her own young child I am very doubtful she would actually put the interests of special needs children high on her list of priorities."

And while we're on the topic, Boston Globe columnist Penelope Trunk, a successful businesswoman and mother of two special-needs children who writes on the work-life balance, says "Palin's children should take priority over being Vice President."

No comments:

Disability Scoop

Special Ed News (Education Week)

Special Education Law