Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Divorced, African American Mother Asks GOP: What About ME?

If you want a sense of how "regular" moms struggle to raise children, including those with special needs, you must read this post from Afrodescendiente. Read the whole thing, but here's the gist:

"Has anyone come to my house to ask me about how I balance things? I have children, I work. My oldest child is autistic. My first husband and I divorced when my children were 5 and 3. The combination of youth and autism can be devastating to a marriage. Autism (or any disability) is no walk in the park.

"So at the age of 27, I was on my own with two children. I had no job, no money, and no car. It took me six months to get straight, then I went back to college. For the first year, I had no car of my own. For the first nine months, I had no daycare for the younger child....

"Finally, I got the younger one in daycare. I was so broke...I went without books the first month of classes. My children’s schools were on different schedules, so they didn't have the same breaks and holidays. I went to school sick many times because I couldn't miss any days. I was already missing too many trying to manage when the kids were on spring break, etc.

"Once, in a three-week school period, I had 12 meetings for IEPs and other Special Ed things. And, I was still a single mother struggling to finish school. When my courses were available only at night, I had a split schedule taking classs in the mornings and evenings, so I was only home with my children for an hour or so a day, they were alseep when I returned....

"And when I was poor, struggling, bedraggled, tired did anyone rush to my defense? Nah. Did they praise me for my valiant efforts to mix parenthood and a career? I dealt with the same stigma most of us single non-white mothers deal with....

"So you know, I’m trying my best to care about Sarah Palin. I am. But you know, she has a husband and money and her kid is disabled for sure, but only for seven or so months. When she has done it for 15 years, alone with no money, THEN I will praise her. But I’m feeling sort of selfish. Until I get my parade, I can't cheer in hers."
Post a Comment

Disability Scoop

Special Ed News (Education Week)

Special Education Law