Sunday, September 7, 2008

Gov. Palin and me...


Gov. Palin and I have a few things in common. First, we're both hockey fans. She is a self-declared "hockey mom," and I play ice hockey with a bunch of other old guys. (And by the way, one of my favorite hockey movies is "Mystery, Alaska," which I highly recommend.)

Second, and more important, we both have a child with special needs. Her youngest son Trig has Down Syndrome, and my only child is a girl with autism and epilepsy. My daughter is 4, so I know that Gov. Palin and her family are in for both great joy and challenging struggles in the years ahead, and I wish nothing but the best for Trig and the entire family.

Gov. Palin's candidacy as vice president has put special needs in the spotlight, and she expressed her support for children with special needs at the Republican National Convention. Specifically, she said: "To the families of special-needs children all across this country, I have a message for you: For years, you’ve sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters. And I pledge to you that, if we’re elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House."

So I wondered what the McCain-Palin plan was for children with special needs. And after doing a lot of research, I still wonder. In the right column of this blog are links to the Obama-Biden positions on disabilities and a specific plan to increase support for autism. I can find no similar plans from the McCain-Palin campaign, and if you can, please provide a link so readers and voters can compare the candidates' positions.

No comments:

Disability Scoop

Special Ed News (Education Week)

Special Education Law