Thursday, January 19, 2017

Just When I Thought I Was Out, They Pull Me Back In

Sometimes it's exhausting following and reporting on disability policy. There are so many setbacks and so many uphill battles. But ever since I started this blog in 2008, I've kept doing it because there are so few outlets for this kind of advocacy.

After Trump was elected, I didn't expect to like any of his Cabinet nominees. But how could I have predicted what an absolute disaster Betsy DeVos would be for all students, including those with special needs? Support vouchers and Christian education all you want, but after carefully preparing for your confirmation hearing, you really don't know about the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act? These protections should be "left to the states"?

Assuming Ms. DeVos is confirmed (as the least qualified Education Secretary in our history), I'm going to need to keep this blog going and advocate in many other ways. Which makes me think of this quote from the otherwise terrible "Godfather III."




No comments:

Disability Scoop

Special Ed News (Education Week)

Special Education Law