Sunday, August 1, 2010

Wheelchairs and Burritos: Court Says Chipotle Violated ADA

Maybe it's because I'm a fan of Chipotle, but I'm not sure how I feel about a recent ruling against the restaurant for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act -- because it's counters are too high for people in wheelchairs to see the food. I've noticed before that the walls are too high for even some short people, like children, to see the ingredients, but no one is denied any food. The people who sued want Chipotle to lower their walls, but I wonder if it would be an acceptable compromise to offer a menu with photos so people could choose their ingredients. Another chain, Qdoba, is set up the exact same way. Read about the San Diego case from 10News.

What do you think?

1 comment:

william Peace said...

I am truly stunned by your comments. The ADA clearly outlines the height of counters, distance between tables and virtually every variable involved in making a restaurant accessible. These regulations are routinely violated, the case mentioned worse than usual or a gross violation. I don't want to look at a photo of food. I want to look at it like any other paying customer that walked in the door. This is a minimal expectation. What would be next? A photo of the upstairs of a museum instead of an elevator? For a blog I respect your comments showed a callus disregard for the rights of people that use a wheelchair.

Disability Scoop

Special Ed News (Education Week)

Special Education Law